Sunday, May 2, 2010

When cooking makes you cry

First off, my apologies for being a delinquent blogger. I have excuses, but you can either read about those or you can read about food. Food? I thought so.

Last weekend at the market, I noticed lots of new things! Notably, onions of every variety are sprouting at the moment. For example, baby leeks:and colorful spring onions:
and Texas sweet onions.
So, if I was on a risotto kick before, I'm now on a savory tart kick. I absolutely love caramelized onions, so I added a red onion and a white onion from Central Market to make a five-onion tart with goat cheese and parsley.
It's simple, though time-consuming. (Speaking of consuming, Andy and I polished off a bottle and a half of wine while the onions were caramelized. If, like me, you drink while you cook, plan on a night in.) Start by preheating the oven to 375 and slicing all the onions (I used what you see in the pic above plus two medium onions.) If you wear contacts, you won't cry as much. Don't know why that is, but it's been a great help to me. Then, heat some olive oil in a large skillet or wok. Use more than you think you need. Cook the onions over LOW heat until they're caramelized, about 45 minutes. Even if you're impatient to eat.

When the onions are almost done, add some salt and pepper along with 1/3 cup each white wine vinegar and white wine. Cook for 5-10 minutes longer, then spoon them into a pie shell. Top with as much crumbled goat cheese and fresh parsley as your heart desires, then bake 5-10 minutes, until the cheese is browned. Et voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment