Monday, February 22, 2010

Bulls-eye beets

It's getting cold (yet again - aren't we in South Texas?) and I wanted something warm and satisfying. Something a little healthier than my usual go-to winter food, mac and cheese. With extra cheese. And a little more cheese on top of that.

On a drizzly Saturday morning, I spied some beets that were a lighter color than I'm used to. When I asked about them, the farmer told me that they were chioggia beets, an Italian heirloom variety known for its concentric red and white circles. Roomie roasts beets all the time and they're always excellent. It's easy: heat the oven to 375, wrap the (washed and trimmed) beets in foil, and roast away. The larger the beets, the longer the cooking time. Because mine were so small, it only took about 30 minutes. Once they cool, you can remove the skin, slice them, and toss them with olive oil, rosemary, salt and pepper. (Note: do NOT wear anything white while doing this. Beet juice stains like nothing else.) The greens taste great wilted in walnut oil with a little garlic.

I also have yet to blog about last week's farmer's market dinner. For those of you who don't know, I lost my beautiful, lovable cat Ozzie last week, which is why there was no blog post. Ozzie loved figs, pesto sauce, and honey, just like his momma. He will be missed very, very much.

But, on a more cheerful note, here's what I made last week:
I tried mustard greens for the first time, and it will certainly not be the last! When I looked them up online, I saw them described as "feisty." Ok, sure. I braised them and served them as the bed of a warm salad with balsamic-glazed chickpeas. The greens had an assertive, spicy flavor, which would go great with (you guessed it) mac and cheese. On the side is a dish that has been known to convert brussels sprout haters: maple roasted sprouts with toasted pecan and just a hint of dijon mustard.

No comments:

Post a Comment