Friday, January 29, 2010

A 30 minute dinner


Quick: it's 6 p.m. You've just finished a 5 mile run. You're starving, with mostly odds and ends in the fridge. What do you do?
Go to Amy's and eat a sundae for dinner!
Just kidding on that one, but it's happened before, more than I care to admit. Ice cream has calcium! It's healthy!

No, in all seriousness I put together this mint-pecan pesto over broiled tofu and Israeli couscous. Total experiment, but it worked.
Broiled tofu is pretty easy. I recommend marinating it, but I didn't have time, so I just brushed it with olive oil and broiled it for 10 minutes on each side.
For the pesto, I had some leftover mint from last week's radish, blood orange, and mint salad, and these wonderful local pecans that I bought from a super-friendly farmer at the market a few weeks ago. I've been putting them with brown sugar and raisins in oatmeal:

Mint and pecan pesto (makes about 1/2 cup, doubles easily)

1 cup fresh mint leaves, packed
1/3 cup pecans
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
2 cloves garlic

It's easy. Mix it all up in your handy food processor. You don't even have to chop anything.

Israeli couscous with peas

1 cup Israeli couscous
1 cup peas (frozen, cooked according to package instructions)
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp ginger
salt and pepper to taste

Boil 1/4 cup water, add couscous. Cook for about 8 minutes, until all water is absorbed, over medium heat.
Mix in peas, lemon, ginger. Serve under broiled tofu with mint-pecan pesto.

There you go, a healthy weeknight dinner in less than than 30 minutes. Almost as good as an ice cream sundae.

Crummy pic, I know. I had take a really nice one, and then genius that I am deleted it accidentally from my camera.

And now, I'm off to some Brazilian-themed dance party on the east side. Don't really know how to dress for this (I'm low on feather headdresses and spangled bras) so I'm wearing blue shimmery eyeshadow and basically all the jewelry I own.

No comments:

Post a Comment